In this hugely important episode, Cavin and Alek Interview Dr. Unini Odama to define the word “concussion” and discuss strategies for better awareness and prevention in sports.
Links from this episode:
- Find more on Dr. Unini Odama (linkedin) – (HealthGrades)
- Watch the trailer for “Concussion”
- Dr. Bennet Omalu on FRONTLINE
Points of Interest:
- 1:00 – Cavin’s trip to the International Symposium on Clinical Neuroscience
- 3:25 – Dr. Odama Introduction
- 5:19 – What is Nephrology?
- 8:32 – What are concussions?
- 10:48 – Who is Dr. Omalu and what is CTE?
- 15:00 – How do we define concussion and what causes CTE?
- 20:20 – What is “sports culture” and how do we handle concussion in sports?
- 26:20 – Concussion Statistics in sports
- 29:21 – Who is Zackery Lystedt and what was his impact on concussion law?
- 32:25 – Will we have to change sports like Football?
- 33:20 – Models for affecting change in sports concussions
- 38:18 – Challenging perceptions of concussion in the media
- 44:10 – What do you say to the parents of children interested in sports like Football?
- 53:45 – An epidemic of concussions?
- 58:00 – A link between kidneys and neurology
Read Dr. Bennet Omalu’s Book: