Podcast 8 – Confronting the Concussion Crisis
In this hugely important episode, Cavin and Alek Interview Dr. Unini Odama to define the word “concussion” and discuss strategies for better awareness and prevention in sports.
Links from this episode:
- Find more on Dr. Unini Odama (linkedin) – (HealthGrades)
- Watch the trailer for “Concussion”
- Dr. Bennet Omalu on FRONTLINE
Points of Interest:
- 1:00 – Cavin’s trip to the International Symposium on Clinical Neuroscience
- 3:25 – Dr. Odama Introduction
- 5:19 – What is Nephrology?
- 8:32 – What are concussions?
- 10:48 – Who is Dr. Omalu and what is CTE?
- 15:00 – How do we define concussion and what causes CTE?
- 20:20 – What is “sports culture” and how do we handle concussion in sports?
- 26:20 – Concussion Statistics in sports
- 29:21 – Who is Zackery Lystedt and what was his impact on concussion law?
- 32:25 – Will we have to change sports like Football?
- 33:20 – Models for affecting change in sports concussions
- 38:18 – Challenging perceptions of concussion in the media
- 44:10 – What do you say to the parents of children interested in sports like Football?
- 53:45 – An epidemic of concussions?
- 58:00 – A link between kidneys and neurology
Read Dr. Bennet Omalu’s Book: