Dr. Robert Melillo is an innovator when it comes to our understanding of brain imbalances and childhood brain development.
I met Dr. Melillo over the phone in 2018 and we have been in contact over the years. In 2019, when I spoke at IAFNR in Las Vegas we finally got to meet in person.
He is one of the world’s most sought after and respected experts in Developmental Functional Neurology, brain imbalances, and hemispheric integration, and has been successful in diagnosing and correcting most brain based behavioral problems and learning disabilities.
He is also a successful entrepreneur in developing many successful businesses.
- In 2006, he created Brain Balance Achievement Centers which has approximately 150 centers and has helped tens of thousands of families.
- He is a prolific author and brain researcher. Here’s some of what’s on his CV:
- Published one major text book: Neurobehavioral Disorders of Childhood an Evolutionary Perspective.
- Published approximately 50 peer reviewed papers.
- Written 5 best-selling books including his best known Disconnected Kids which has been translated into 8 languages.
- Presented at numerous scientific and clinical conferences around the world
- Taught his own course at a post graduate level for over 20 years.
- Associate Professor of Developmental Disabilities at National University of Health Sciences
- Multiple graduate degrees in Chiropractic, Neurology, Neuroscience and Clinical Rehabilitation Neuropsychology
- Co-founder and past President of the International Association of Functional Neurology and Rehabilitation.
- In 2017 Dr. Melillo also created a line of vitamins called KidGenius and TruGenius.
- He is also featured on Dr. Mark Hyman’s recent Broken Brains Docuseries.
- On the Advisory Board for Zac Browns’ Camp Southern Ground for children with learning disabilities.
In this podcast we talk about:
- Corpus Callosum and the importance of the communication between the hemispheres.
- Disconnection syndrome vs. functional disconnection.
- The importance of timing in the brain.
- Cause of developmental imbalances.
- Right vs Left Brain and how hemisphericity imbalances affect our immune system (left brain underdevelopment tends to create underactive immune system… right brain underdevelopment tends to create overactive immune system).
- How the redevelopment of the injured brain is similar and different to the development of the child brain.
- Primitive reflexes, the integration of those reflexes, and the disintegration or return of certain reflexes with neurological injury, degeneration, or overactivity on one hemisphere.
- The Melillo Method and his New York clinic.
- Neuroscience practitioner training.
Listen up and learn how you can improve neurological outcomes for yourself, your loved ones, or your patients.
I’d love to hear what you get out of this podcast, so comment or send me an email if you are so inclined.
- Dr. Melillo’s Links
- Cavin’s links
Strange how he says the left brain is prone to impulse whereas I’ve always heard the left brain was the ‘logic’ side…
Also, He does say that the developmental delays ARE IMPORTANT LONGTERM AS WELL BUT THOSE ARE now being seen DUE TO THE FACE-DIAPERS being mandated, so I want to know what his solution is for those children who have lost SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES