Cavin and Alek discuss TBI Model Systems Centers with Clinical Research Coordinator for the Brain Injury Research Center of Mount Sinai, Gabrielle Guetta.
Gabrielle Guetta is a Clinical Research Coordinator at the Brain Injury Research Center of Mount Sinai in New York City, where she recruits, consents, and screens participants for research studies that address the challenges of living with TBI. Gabrielle works with participants once they are a part of the studies and she works on the TBI Model Systems study, which is the largest TBI outcome study in the world.
Centers offer a variety of care and treatment, not only at the time of injury, but post-injury and recovery years…it’s beneficial to be part of the study because it’s really important to track recovery after traumatic brain injury.
“What is a Model System?
Model Systems are specialized programs of care in traumatic brain injury (TBI), spinal cord injury (SCI), and burn injury that are funded by the National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research (NIDILRR). Model Systems pool information and conduct research intended to improve the long-term functional, vocational, cognitive, and quality-of-life outcomes in individuals with TBI, SCI, or burn injury.
What are the Model Systems National Databases?
Each Model System invites newly injured individuals to participate in an ongoing National Database of patients. Data are collected on enrolled patients at regular intervals for up to 30 years after injury. This information is used to further the understanding of the long-term consequences of these injuries and to develop improved treatments and systems of care.”
Links from this episode:
- (BIRC) Brain Injury Research Center of Mt. Sinai – https://www.tbicentral.org/
- TBI Model System Info – https://www.tbindsc.org/
- Model Systems Knowledge Translation Center – https://www.msktc.org/
Points of Interest:
- 1:00 – Intro about long-term treatment, study, and recovery
- 10:30 – Introduction for Gabrielle Guetta
- 13:20 – Who should be interested in Model Systems Centers?
- 15:00 – What kind of follow-up treatments are offered?
- 17:25 – How long to you follow up with patients?
- 18:00 – Cavin’s experience with Model Systems Centers
- 19:50 – What criteria are required to become a participant in the study?
- 21:30 – National locations of centers
- 23:20 – What resources are offered?
- 27:00 – What have these studies taught you about TBI recovery?
- 28:25 – What is the Model Systems National Database?
- 29:00 – What about the role of nutrition?
- 32:00 – Can you list examples of questions you ask survivors long term?
- 37:00 – Gabrielle’s clinical experience
- 42:00 – Additional information, including focus groups and support groups
- 44:00 – Hotline: 212-241-5152
- 47:30 – Closing