VisionHelp Group – The VisionHelp Group is a collective of developmental optometrists passionately sharing the best practices in our field. Their purpose is to end the senseless struggle due to developmental and rehabilitative vision problems. They have a background in state and national leadership in optometry and optometric education as university professors, authors, and lecturers. The doctors of the VisionHelp Group meet regularly to discuss the latest developments and best practices as well as to facilitate and develop initiatives to advocate for professional and public awareness of developmental vision and rehabilitation.
The Neuro-Optometric Rehabilitation Association – The Neuro-Optometric Rehabilitation Association, International, (NORA) is a group of committed individuals from various disciplines whose focus is on advancing the art and science of rehabilitation for the neurologically challenged patient.
- Brain Injury Associations – The Brain Injury Association of America’s nationwide network of chartered state affiliates.
- Brainline.org – Brainline.org features a comprehensive list of resources, broken down by state.
- CountyOffice.org – Find contact information for government offices in your area.
- IAFNR.org – International Association of Functional Neurology and Rehabilitation
Why Isn’t My Brain Working?: A Revolutionary Understanding of Brain Decline and Effective Strategies to Recover Your Brain’s Health – “Losing your memory? Can’t focus or concentrate? Do you have brain fog or tire easily? Have you lost your zest for life or motivation? Do people tell you this is all a normal part of aging? If so, your brain may be growing old too fast, or degenerating. Modern diets, a stressful lifestyle, and environmental toxins all take their toll on the brain.”
Head Cases: Stories of Brain Injury and Its Aftermath – “Head Cases takes us into the dark side of the brain in an astonishing sequence of stories, at once true and strange, from the world of brain damage. Michael Paul Mason is one of an elite group of experts who coordinate care in the complicated aftermath of tragic injuries that can last a lifetime. On the road with Mason, we encounter survivors of brain injuries as they struggle to map and make sense of the new worlds they inhabit.”
The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science – “An astonishing new science called “neuroplasticity” is overthrowing the centuries-old notion that the human brain is immutable. In this revolutionary look at the brain, psychiatrist and psychoanalyst Norman Doidge, M.D., provides an introduction to both the brilliant scientists championing neuroplasticity and the people whose lives they’ve transformed. From stroke patients learning to speak again to the remarkable case of a woman born with half a brain that rewired itself to work as a whole,The Brain That Changes Itself will permanently alter the way we look at our brains, human nature, and human potential.”
Metamorphosis, Surviving Brain Injury – “Learn about brain injury from an insiders point of view. Survivors and medical professionals alike better understand TBI. A nationally published author before his accident, David draws from a lifetime of experience in his newest book.”
Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar–Your Brain’s Silent Killers – “Renowned neurologist David Perlmutter, MD, blows the lid off a topic that’s been buried in medical literature for far too long: carbs are destroying your brain. And not just unhealthy carbs, but evenhealthy ones like whole grains can cause dementia, ADHD, anxiety, chronic headaches, depression, and much more. Dr. Perlmutter explains what happens when the brain encounters common ingredients in your daily bread and fruit bowls, why your brain thrives on fat and cholesterol, and how you can spur the growth of new brain cells at any age…”
Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness – “In a swift and breathtaking narrative, Susannah tells the astonishing true story of her descent into madness, her family’s inspiring faith in her, and the lifesaving diagnosis that nearly didn’t happen. “A fascinating look at the disease that . . . could have cost this vibrant, vital young woman her life” (People), Brain on Fire is an unforgettable exploration of memory and identity, faith and love, and a profoundly compelling tale of survival and perseverance that is destined to become a classic.”
The Tell-Tale Brain: A Neuroscientist’s Quest for What Makes Us Human – “In this landmark work, V. S. Ramachandran investigates strange, unforgettable cases―from patients who believe they are dead to sufferers of phantom limb syndrome. With a storyteller’s eye for compelling case studies and a researcher’s flair for new approaches to age-old questions, Ramachandran tackles the most exciting and controversial topics in brain science, including language, creativity, and consciousness.”
Getting Started with your own Blog
– Bluehost is a trustworthy website hosting company which offers an extremely easy and affordable way to get up and running with your own blog on WordPress. Bluehost has free domain name registration and is the perfect, most affordable place to get started. Hosting your own website can be an overwhelming idea for many–especially when you have enough to deal with already. The great thing about providers like Bluehost is that sign-up is easy, quick, they have great support, and throw in a money-back guarantee if you decide you’re just not into it. Once you’re signed on, installing WordPress and creating your first post is just a button away.
Free Themes for WordPress – WordPress is one of the best free platforms for any blog or website. It’s such a powerful, easy-to-use, and editable tool used for everything from tiny blogs and small businesses to large corporations. We love how easy it install, customize, and there are tons of free and purchasable themes available. It’s a great place to start if you’re looking to start a blog or website without spending a lot of money. Of course, if you’re not into hosting your own blog thing, you can create a free blog on WordPress.com using one of their templates and their web address. In fact, the original Adventures in Brain Injury site was a WordPress.com domain!
Have Something Else to Add?
Consider sponsoring Feed a Brain and Adventures in Brain Injury.
- If you, your clinic, or your company provide excellent care for brain injury/disease, we would like to connect with you.
- If you, your clinic, or your company produce superb brain-building nutritional supplements or food products, we’d like to connect with you.
- If you or your company provide real food gastric feeds to patients… we’d definitely like to connect with you.
- If you simply want to support these efforts… we’d like to connect with you.
Check out the sponsor page and send an email to [email protected] and write SPONSORSHIP (in all caps) in the subject line.