I’ve met a lot of brilliant people in my adventures… and Scott is no exception (which is why he’s on the podcast 😂).
This episode will teach you so many of the basics of being a healthy human being. Basics that are simple, yet most people THINK they already KNOW the basics (this is a trap that keeps people from learning).
Most people THINK they already KNOW the basics of being a healthy human being, but the fact is that the actual simple changes that promote more happy and healthy humans are often hidden. And these simple changes are just that… dead simple.
Scott is a DENTIST… a dentist who I believe is one of THE MOST QUALIFIED professionals to share his expertise about overall health.
Dr. Scott Solomons, DDS is not your ordinary dentist.
Not only does he understand that the first phase of digestion occurs in the mouth, he also understands that digestion and metabolism is the most important aspect of overall health.
If your digestion isn’t healthy… there will likely be downstream problems with every system of your body.
We talk about the importance of saliva in digestion… fluoride’s questionable origin in dentistry, fluorosis, potential risks and benefits… the history of cavities in humans and other animals… how chewing forms our jaws, face, and airways… the connection between cavities and heart disease… Weston A. Price and nutrition and physical degeneration… and much more!
It was so fun talking to Scott that we ended up chatting for almost 2 hours. I trimmed a lot from this episode to get you the most important aspects, and it is still 90 min long.
Yes, it’s long, and… it is totally worth it. Enjoy!
In this post, we talk about:
- How Scott got into dentistry
- How digestion starts in the mouth – How amylase, found in human saliva, turns processed carbohydrates into sugar in the mouth.
- How saliva washes away sugar and acid in the mouth.
- The origin of fluoride’s use in dentistry, how it was originally found to cause dental problems (mottling or fluorosis), who it can be beneficial for, and who it’s not good for.
- Historical evidence of the emergence of cavities in humans.
- What I use instead of toothpaste.
- How chewing forms our jaw bone structure, face, and airways https://amzn.to/3aN8icD
- Connection between cavities and heart disease
- Weston A Price and nutrition and physical degeneration
- How P-gingivalis (which starts in the mouth) is found in both heart disease and alzheimer’s
- Food addiction vs. mindless eating
- Industrial seed oils and Cavin’s “Guide to Fats and Oils”
- The importance of cholesterol and The Minnesota Study Cholesterol
- What to look for in cholesterol panels (HDL to Triglyceride ratio)
- Cavin’s article on cholesterol and clogged arteries: Semis and Road Closures
- How our jaw structure affects our breathing.
- Dr. Solomon’s Free eBook
- Recipe for a happy healthy vibrant human being
- Rat Park Study
- Dr. Solomon’s Links