No one plans for a brain injury and no one knows what to do when one occurs. In this information age, we are bombarded. It is near impossible to sift through the myriad different modalities to find effective tools to optimize brain function and repair. I have navigated the winding roads of recovery, and have been researching the brain like my life depends on it… because it does (or at least it did).
Navigating the hospital bureaucracy, working with social workers, and getting your loved one the care they need is not something that anyone prepares for or are experienced with unless they have been through it. Today, I work and consult professionally with MDs, registered dieticians, social workers, functional neurologists, nutritionists, neuro-optometrists, registered dieticians, and physical, occupational, speech-language, and vision therapists. I am able to provide the perspective of someone who’s been there as well as the expertise of many professionals and doctors.
As is often said in the brain injury field, “if you’ve seen one brain injury, you’ve seen ONE brain injury.” All brain injuries are different, and all medical situations are different depending on the hospital, geographic location, medical team, nutritional availability etc. Books and articles cannot specialize information that is specifically tailored to your loved one’s particular circumstances. I partner with my clients to help them to be the most effective advocate and to bring about the best outcome possible.
- I help you to be an empowered and effective advocate.
- I work with clients through their emotional pain to find power and purpose.
- I help loved ones to harness the confidence needed to effectively help their loved one.
- I help to bridge the gap between doctors, dietitians, and other health-care professionals so that you can be certain treatment is informed and cohesive.
- I speak with clients and healthcare providers to establish a partnership with the health-care team working toward an optimal outcome.
- I help you to design a game plan to improve symptoms, function, and the amount of joy that you are able to experience.
- I help you and your loved one to find happiness when living with brain injury or brain disease.
- I help you to navigate the new landscape and to find the best possible options given your circumstances.
Who are my clients?
I work with clients who have a loved one presenting with brain challenges from minimally conscious states to post acute rehab to rejoining the workforce.
In addition to helping those faced with brain injury and disease, I help healthy people get the most out of their lives by developing personalized strategies to feel awesome and accomplish awesome things.
When is the best time to work with me?
The early stages are the most crucial time for recovery and are indeed the best time to consult with me. The brain is most plastic (able to adapt and to change) early after an injury, making the early stages a powerful stage to ensure positive, rather than negative plasticity. When we practice doing something the wrong way, especially in an enhanced state of plasticity, we get very good at doing whatever it is the wrong way. With guidance, we can be sure to give your loved one the best possible outcome. Many times when I work with clients in the acute or subacute stages, because we come in early after an injury and begin to implement neuro-protective and neuro-regenerative protocols early on, one month is all that is needed. And that is the ideal outcome.
That being said, the brain is always plastic, and we can feed a brain (in so many more ways beyond nutrition) at any stage to optimize brain function.
If you are serious about optimizing you or your loved one’s recovery and are ready to take certain steps, schedule a consult with me.
This is what you can expect from me:
- Mentally/emotionally/spiritually: I help people to get in a mindset that is conducive to healing, strength, confidence, and enjoyment rather than loss, anxiety, fear, or monotony.
- Nutritionally: I help people to understand how food affects the brain and to develop strategies that they can personally implement to support brain health… even for those who are unable to eat conventionally.
- Supplementally: I help people to strategically supplement (and to work with the medical team) in order to supply the brain with the ingredients needed for optimal function and repair.
- Therapeutically: I help people to understand what specific exercises and cognitive work can be used to improve or to overcome their particular blocks and challenges.
I also help healthy people get the most out of their lives by developing personalized strategies to feel awesome and accomplish awesome things. Learn more at feedabrain.com/consult
No matter what stage you’re in if you think I can help you…
TO WORK WITH ME:
Five Lessons on the Five Year Anniversary of my Brain injury
Cavin’s brain injury journey is astounding. His experiences and accomplishments since returning from the brink of death are incredible!
Dr. Leonard PressPress Vision
Cavin takes you on a captivating journey of challenging experiences that leads to an amazingly successful recovery. Cavin is a remarkable person who conveys a remarkable message in each of his talented motivational speeches.
Chip Howe, M.A.Mary lee Foundation
Cavin is wonderfully articulate and takes you through his long rehabilitation journey which involves expert medical care, intense family support, and several ingenious therapy procedures.
Susan R. Barry, Ph.DFixing My Gaze
I’ve never heard a more superb and comprehensive combination of humor, courage, and integration of knowledge on how a patient with traumatic brain injury has put his life back together.
Dr. Curtis R. BaxstromNeuro-optometric Rehabilitation Association